Black-Eyed Pea Soup
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 55 min.
Makes12 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook the pork, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 173 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 597mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Nov 4, 2012
I've made this recipe several times. It is so easy. We just love it. Sometimes I use other ground meats such as beef or chicken. Sometimes I use dried black eyed peas and soak over night, cook for about 1 hour and then add them to the soup using the cooking liquid in place of the water. It comes out good every time.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.