Black-Eyed Pea and Bean Salad
"I was trying to use up some ingredients I had in our pantry one day and threw this bean salad together," related Marilyn Gonsman of Blairsville, Georgia. "I served it the next night with chicken, and everyone enjoyed it."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the kidney beans, black-eyed peas, black beans, celery, red pepper and onion. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegars, oil and salt. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 169 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 414mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Black-Eyed Pea and Bean Salad in Light & Tasty December/January 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.