Black Cat Brownie
“My Mom made this treat for me and my brother every Halloween as we were growing up, " recalls Janice Korsmeyer of Highland, Illinois. "Today, my own daughter enjoys it each year, too. It's so easy to make, always a great hit with children and a fun tradition to pass on.”
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (13-inch x 9-inch pan size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- 2 large yellow gumdrops
- 1 large green gumdrop
- 1 large black gumdrop
- 2 pieces black shoestring licorice
- 6 candy corns
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray and set aside.
- Prepare brownie mix batter according to package directions. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely; remove parchment paper.
- For cat's body, place one brownie circle on a covered board. From one side of the remaining brownie, cut a 1-in.-wide crescent-shaped slice; position tail on board. From the center of the opposite side, measure 2-3/4 in. toward the center. Make a vertical cut, forming a small half circle; cut in half and trim if desired, forming two ears. Position brownie with the flat side against the cat's body; trim sides of brownie as needed, forming the head. Add the ears.
- Frost cat. Flatten yellow gumdrops. Cut two thin rounds from green gumdrop; position yellow and green gumdrops for eyes. Press black gumdrop into frosting for nose. Cut licorice into desired lengths for whiskers and a mouth; press lightly into frosting. Arrange candy corns at base of cat for toes.