Black Bottom Cupcakes
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chopped almonds, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg and salt until smooth. Stir in chips; set aside.
- 2. For cupcakes, in a large bowl, beat the sugar, water, oil, egg, vinegar and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended.
- 3. Fill 24 paper-lined muffin cups half full with chocolate batter. Drop a heaping tablespoonful of cheese mixture in center of batter of each cupcake. Sprinkle with sugar and chopped almonds if desired.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake portion comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to racks to cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers.
1 each: 174 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 148mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 12, 2019Have been making these for almost 40 years and they are always a hit! I have substituted light cream cheese at times, have not added any extra sugar on top, occasionally added nuts. Might try subbing chocolate balsamic vinegar.These always bring to mind one of my sisters who is no longer with us, was her favorite dessert.??
Jun 3, 2018
I followed the recipe, substituted coffee instead of water, however after I took them out of the oven - the cupcakes formed a hard plastic like outside layer? I don't know if I messed something up, I followed the directions and used aluminium foil cupcake liners. The flavor was ok but the cake batter didn't result in the fluffy devils food cake type of texture I was hoping for.
Apr 22, 2018
Very good recipe...I didn’t yield that many cupcakes...I had to make a double batch of chocolate cake batter...I only used a tablespoon of filing for each cupcake and I substituted coffee for the water to make it a little more intense in flavor...delicious!
Mar 23, 2018
I’ve been making these for over 50 years (without the sugar and nuts for the topping). The recipe was given to me by a neighbor and she called them “Girdle Snappers”. They are great, no matter what you call them.
Jul 9, 2017
These luscious cupcakes taste wonderful and are so moist!!
Sep 3, 2016
Amazing! Used namaste gluten free flour blend, and they turned out great. Didn't top with nuts.
Aug 12, 2016
Delicious!! My 9 year old daughter made these. She used cherry balsamic vinegar. Yum!! Also used light cream cheese, skipped the nuts and extra sugar. Will definitely keep in the rotation!!
Feb 19, 2015
These are great especially when warm and the choc chips are melted! Only thing I did differently was added vanilla to the cheesecake mix and I sprinkled raw sugar on the top of each cupcake. Highly recommend this recipe!
Aug 14, 2014
These were a hit! Took them to the cottage last weekend and everyone loved them and asked for the recipe! Will make these again!
Dec 31, 1969
My grandmother made these regularly, they've been a family favorite for years.