Black-Bottom Banana Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; beat until thoroughly combined. Blend in the bananas. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide batter in half. Add cocoa to half; spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spoon remaining batter on top and swirl with a knife. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until the bars test done. Cool. Yield: 2-1/2 to 3 dozen.
2 each: 181 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Black-Bottom Banana Bars
"So glad I tried these despite the most recent review that was posted. Because of that review I did add to the recipe. Decreased flour to 1cup added 1/2cup quick oats. After dividing batter added 1/2tsp allspice and 1 cup choc chips to the banana batter before layering with cocoa batter. Its a keeper!"
"I was looking for a new way to use "old bananas" and this is NOT it. These are boring and non-exceptional to say the least. They DO stay moist, I will give them that, but I would guess that a variety of additions as suggested by other readers are a definite need."
"I too have been making these bars for years. A great recipe to use up bananas. I did change the recipe a little. I eliminated the cocoa and added a half cup of mini semi chocolate chips. To divide the batter was time consuming for me."
"Delicious. Light and fluffy. Made exactly as stated. Yummy!"
"These are delightful. Very simple, but good. I wouldn't change a thing."
"This was a nice combination of chocolate and banana."