Black & Blue Berry Grunt
If you’re looking for something different from the usual cakes and fruit pies, try this old-fashioned dessert. It features a delicious combination of blackberries and blueberries with homemade dumplings on top. —Kelly Akin, Johnsonville, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon-sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- In a large skillet, combine the first 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the first 5 dumpling ingredients. Add butter and buttermilk; stir just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto berry mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- Cover tightly; simmer until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean, 10-15 minutes. Serve warm; if desired, top with sweetened whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 226 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Black and Blueberry Grunt in Country Extra July 2006