Black & Blue Berry Grunt
If you’re looking for something different from the usual cakes and fruit pies, try this old-fashioned dessert. It features a delicious combination of blackberries and blueberries with homemade dumplings on top. —Kelly Akin, Johnsonville, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon-sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- In a large skillet, combine the first 7 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the first 5 dumpling ingredients. Add butter and buttermilk; stir just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto berry mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- Cover tightly; simmer until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean, 10-15 minutes. Serve warm; if desired, top with sweetened whipped cream.