- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 each medium sweet yellow, orange and red pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onion and garlic; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add beans, rice, cumin and oregano; heat through.
- Stir in 1 cup cheese; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBlack Beans with Bell Peppers & Rice
"Tasty, delicate seasonings. I had two red peppers and a yellow pepper, so that's what I used."
"This meal was a very quick,cheap, and easy to put together. That was the plus about it. But for my family's preference we did not prefer this as a meal. My husband and I agreed it needed more flavor. We added hot sauce to it and that made it very delicious. My husband also thinks this would be great with cooked steak chopped up in it."
"This was yummy! I did not have fresh cilantro so I added extra cumin, oregano and salt."