Black Bean Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 cups water
- 3 low-sodium beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute onion, carrots and celery over medium heat until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in water, bouillon, tomatoes, beans, barley, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add spinach; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Nov 11, 2012
This soup is great, very flavorful and filling but light at the same time. I like my soup to have a fair amount of broth and after the barley soaked up water there wasn't a lot of broth left so I added a few more cups of beef broth. Delicious!