Black Bean Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 cups water
- 3 low-sodium beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute onion, carrots and celery over medium heat until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in water, bouillon, tomatoes, beans, barley, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add spinach; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 113 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 11, 2012
This soup is great, very flavorful and filling but light at the same time. I like my soup to have a fair amount of broth and after the barley soaked up water there wasn't a lot of broth left so I added a few more cups of beef broth. Delicious!