Black Bean Tart
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough water until mixture forms a ball. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Remove foil; bake 8-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a blender, combine 1 cup beans, sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover and process until smooth. Spread over crust. In a skillet, saute corn in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; add red pepper, onions, cilantro, jalapenos, pepper and remaining salt. Add cheese and remaining beans. Mound over the pureed beans (pan will be full). Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 346 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 752mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 23, 2011
I love this recipe and lost my magazine. So glad to have found it, and now it is in my TOH recipe box.
May 30, 2010
Excellent recipe. Always gets rave reviews when I make it. Very good!
Apr 6, 2009
I cheated and mixed the spices that go into making the crust, then sprinkled them over a thawed prepared 9" deep dish pie crust. It is not as good, but works if you are in a rush. Do NOT use parsley! It is NOT interchangable with cilantro! I only used one seeded and diced large jalapeno, as we don't like too much heat. Worth the effort.