Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tostadas
These spicy veggie-packed tostadas won over my meat-loving husband. To make them even faster, shop for baked tostada shells. —Lauren Delaney-Wallace, Glen Carbon, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 to 3 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Shredded lettuce, optional
- Preheat broiler. Place sweet potato in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave, covered, on high until tender, 2-3 minutes. For sauce, mix mayonnaise, lime juice and chipotle pepper.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in beans; heat through. Stir in sweet potato; keep warm.
- In two batches, spritz both sides of tortillas with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet; broil 4-5 in. from heat until crisp and lightly browned, about 1 minute per side. Sprinkle immediately with cheese. To serve, top tortillas with sauce, bean mixture and, if desired, lettuce.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2 tostadas: 407 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 676mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 10g fiber), 16g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.