Mild Southwestern spices pep up this play on the classic meatless main dish. The colorful peppers and cheesy topping invite everyone at the table to dig in!
Recommended: 25 Healthy 13x9 Dinners to Make for Dinner Tonight
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 each large green, sweet red, yellow and orange peppers
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked converted rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, broth, rice, onion, orange juice, chili powder and 1 cup cheese; spoon into peppers. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until peppers are tender and filling is heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Stuffed Peppers in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2012, p57