Black Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 4 cups (2 pounds) dried black beans
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 7 cups water
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch pepper
- 1 pound fresh kielbasa or Polish sausage links
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Soak beans according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the beans, ham hocks, water, chilies, bouillon, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook kielbasa until a thermometer reads 160°. Cut in half lengthwise; slice into 1/4-in. pieces. Add kielbasa and tomatoes to soup.
- Remove ham hocks; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones; cut into cubes. Return to soup and heat through. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 434 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 648mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 13g fiber), 24g protein.
Nov 4, 2010
5 stars, the way I made it; 2 stars for the creator's version. If one will look at the amount of water needed for 1# of beans (6 cups), it's evident that 7 cups for 2# is far too little. I went to a tried/true black bean soup recipe (uses 1#) and increased the following: cumin-1 Tbsp; chili powder-1 Tbsp; oregano-1 Tbsp; water-11 cups total but really needs one more. The increased spices, plus oregano, make it more a Cuban version. Try it!
Nov 1, 2010
Very good soup! Had to comprise on the recipe since I didn't have enough beans, chilies or any sausage, but my adlib version was great. Hubby raved and my son enjoyed it! Definitely making again, might even add corn the next time.
Oct 8, 2010
Took a chance on reviews and made this for a group of friends and all I got were compliments and when would I be making it again. Can't be beat serving it out in a backyard kitchen on a crisp night,
Jan 29, 2008
i tried this soup, very good the cumin gives a great taste
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.