Black Bean Quinoa Bowls
Did you know that quinoa is a seed? This recipe tastes so good, you'd never guess it was the healthy main-dish equivalent of eating straight spinach! —Laura Lewis, Boulder, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion until tender and lightly browned, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in quinoa, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in zucchini; cook, covered, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans and corn; heat through. Top with cheese and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 333 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 699mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Quinoa and Black Beans in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017