Black Bean-Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons bourbon, optional
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds
- 1. Place beans and tomatoes in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic and cumin; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pumpkin, vinegar, pepper and bean mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 3. Stir in bourbon if desired. Garnish each serving with sour cream, green onions and pumpkin seeds. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 238 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 716mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 9g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Black Bean-Pumpkin Soup
"This soup is pretty good, but it is a little bland for our taste. I added ground chipotle pepper, hot sauce, garlic salt, and curry powder to spice it up. I also only added one onion (which might have made it more bland) because my husband doesn't like things too onion-y"
"Bland. Will not make again."
"This was a good soup. I did not process the beans and tomatoes because I wanted them whole. I had some leftover ham so I diced it up and added it and it went really well with the soup. I also used 9 cups of broth instead of 3 so we could have it for lunch. This obviously made the soup much thinner but it was still a hearty soup. I will make this often."
"Just made this soup- definitely one of my favorites!!!! I used fresh roasted pumpkin and blended it together with the black beans and tomatoes. Amazing recipe :)"
"I love this, and never had black bean / pumpkin in a soup before. It will be a repeat for sure for me."
"I found this a bit bland, and agree with a previous review that I did not taste the pumpkin. Added a bit more ground cumin and a sprinkle of chili powder to my leftovers. We'll see if the flavor improves!"
"This soup is delicious! My husband usually shies away from this type of soup but he really liked it. It's perfect for cool autumn evenings! I served it with applesauce and corn muffins. Didn't have the pumpkin seeds, which I love. Maybe next time- will definitely make again. I love how nutritious this meal is."
"I made this for a menu tasting party. All my clients LOVED it!"
"Wow...I **loved** this recipe!! The only change I made to the recipe was to not bother draining the diced tomatoes and to coarsley pulse the tomatoes and beans rather than fully pureeing them. I topped with a few crushed tortilla chips and ate two bowls. I can't wait to make this again!"