Black Bean & Pumpkin Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add pepper and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in broth, pumpkin, tomatoes and seasonings. Mash one can of beans. Add mashed beans and remaining can of whole beans to pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45 minutes to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken and cilantro; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 200 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 698mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 14, 2015
Husband normally not a fan of veg chili and definitely didn't think pumpkin would make it better (we made it meatless) - wound up being an outstanding dish. Love it over elbows with a little cornbread and cheese on top.
Oct 9, 2015
Never made chili with pumpkin before...gave it a try...its delicious! I will definitely be adding this one to my monthly go to recipes. Its full of good proteins, and low cal too! Thanks for sharing!!!!!
Sep 27, 2015
This is one of my favorite fall soups and have been making it for years. Instead of i can of diced tomatoes, I sub salsa to give the chili more kick and flavor. To make this vegetarian, I leave out the chicken.
Sep 19, 2015
I have lots of pumpkin chili recipes and this one was just okay. Even with all the spices there was just something missing. Maybe I left something out and didn't realize it?
Sep 16, 2015
Just tried the soup. I made it with a combination of sweet potato AND butternut squash. Ohhhhhh was it delicious!
Sep 13, 2015
I was really disappointed in the taste and texture of this soup. Sorry, but we didn't like it at all.