Black Bean Potato Chili
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 3 hours 20 min. + standing
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the beans in a soup kettle or Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2-in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and discard liquid.
- Add 6 cups water to the beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are almost tender. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until soup reaches desired consistency.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 2, 2017
If this chili had more heat we would have been completely satisfied. Next time I will add some jalapenos and diced green chilies for some heat.
Jan 24, 2011
I made this chili last night. It was delicious. I made it without the ground beef and with a can of mild green chiles. I gave it four stars because it calls for dried black beans, which are better if you're watching your sodium, but kind of a pain in the behind to soak, boil, soak again, etc. I would make this again, though. The potatoes are a nice addition.