- 1 pound dried black beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the beans in a soup kettle or Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2-in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and discard liquid. Add 6 cups water to the beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are almost tender. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until soup reaches desired consistency. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forBlack Bean Potato Chili
"If this chili had more heat we would have been completely satisfied. Next time I will add some jalapenos and diced green chilies for some heat."
"I made this chili last night. It was delicious. I made it without the ground beef and with a can of mild green chiles. I gave it four stars because it calls for dried black beans, which are better if you're watching your sodium, but kind of a pain in the behind to soak, boil, soak again, etc. I would make this again, though. The potatoes are a nice addition."