Black Bean Pork Burritos
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + marinating Cook: 5 min.
- 3/4 cup thawed limeade concentrate
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 pound boneless pork loin, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups chopped seeded plum tomatoes
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the limeade concentrate, oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- For salsa, in a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, green pepper, onion, 1/4 cup cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, garlic powder and remaining salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Stir in remaining cilantro; keep warm. Drain and discard marinade. In a large nonstick skillet, saute pork for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink; drain.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese off-center on each tortilla. Layer each with about 1/2 cup pork and 1/4 cup salsa; top with 1/2 cup rice mixture and 1/4 cup black beans. Fold sides and ends over filling. Serve with remaining salsa.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 678 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 1425mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 11g fiber), 36g protein.
May 14, 2012
Best homemade burritos I ever had. I also did sauteed onion/green pepper. The salsa is really good. I marinated the pork for 24 hours and it was a bit too 'limeade-y" for my liking. Next time i'll marinate it for less time. Meat was nice & tender.
Sep 30, 2011
These were tasty, though it's basically a cold sandwich and different from what I was expecting. I marinated the meat for over 24 hours, and the lime flavor really came through. The recipe for salsa made LOTS, but it's good to have on hand. I used it later with some chicken enchiladas, and even added it as a salad ingredient.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.