Black Bean Cornmeal Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salsa and reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add chili powder, garlic, cumin and pepper; saute 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans and corn; heat through. Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, jalapeno and salt. Whisk egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon over filling; gently spread to cover the top.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 329 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 11g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 19, 2011
kinda like a bland chili with a dry cornbread. I knew it was bad when my wife, who likes vegetarian meals, said it needs meat.
Sep 15, 2011
This is an easy dish that really tastes good!
Jul 1, 2010
My family and I thought it was rather bland. The cornbread was also dry. Added salt and definitely used the salsa for added taste.
Feb 26, 2010
My husband and I enjoyed it. I did however make small changes like used diced tomatoes with green chilies, used a red pepper instead of a green one and added 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper to the bean mixture. Also did not have whole wheat flour so used white.
Sep 20, 2009
This was okay -- It seemed to have more cornbread than beans, so to me it was more like a bread. Next time, I will back off on the dough part