Black Bean Corn Chowder
Shelly Platten of Amherst, Wisconsin shares this thick Southwestern-style chowder that's seasoned with salsa, lime juice and cumin. "I first made this for a special lunch with my daughter," Shelly writes. "We like it with gourmet-style tortilla chips."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a blender, combine cream and 3/4 cup black beans; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the salsa, corn, lime juice, cumin and remaining beans.
- Reduce heat; stir in cream mixture. Cook, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in avocado. Serve with sour cream and cheese if desired.