My son encouraged me to come up with a good veggie burger for him, and he gave this recipe a triple A+! Not only are they moist and flavorful, but they’re very easy to freeze. Now, like my son, I prefer them over meat burgers. —Clara Honeyager North Prairie, Wisconsin
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 kaiser rolls, split
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 3/4 cup salsa
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the mixed vegetables, onion and red pepper. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Coarsely mash 3/4 cup black beans. In a bowl, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir in the mashed beans, potato flakes, oats, flour, milk powder, egg, salt and pepper. Stir in vegetable mixture and remaining black beans. Shape into six 5/8-in.-thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties in oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve on rolls with lettuce and salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Burgers in Taste of Home August/September 2007, p41
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Black Bean Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review