- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, yellow pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forBlack Bean 'n' Pumpkin Chili
"Family loves this. I use tomatoes with green chilies to give it some kick."
"Husband says it's a keeper! I found this when looking for a different recipe for my leftover Thanksgiving turkey . I used leftover mashed sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin, subbed white beans (great northern) since i didn't have black beans on hand, and my canned diced tomatoes included green chilies. It was delicious!"
"Excellent recipe! The ingredients are surprising but meld perfectly. The pumpkin adds to the flavor and texture but is not really detectable, which we liked. This recipe is easy, inexpensive and my family loved it. I will be making this regularly. I made it with leftover turkey as directed this time, but will try with ground turkey at other times of the year. The only modifications I made were to use a red bell pepper because that is what I had, and I added a little black pepper."
"I leave out the meat to make it meatless. Excellent recipe."
"I've made this in the past and it's always good. It's nutritious and easily edible by children."
"This is one of my favorite soups for fall winter. Sometimes I use rotisserie chicken instead or leave out the meat all together. Works great divided up in freezer bags and taken for lunch ."