These spicy veggie-packed tostadas won over my meat-loving husband. To make them even faster, shop for baked tostada shells. —Lauren Delaney-Wallace, Glen Carbon, Illinois
Recommended: 39 Quick Vegetarian Meals for Winter Weeknights
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 to 3 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Shredded lettuce, optional
- Preheat broiler. Place sweet potato in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave, covered, on high until tender, 2-3 minutes. For sauce, mix mayonnaise, lime juice and chipotle pepper.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in beans; heat through. Stir in sweet potato; keep warm.
- In two batches, spritz both sides of tortillas with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet; broil 4-5 in. from heat until crisp and lightly browned, about 1 minute per side. Sprinkle immediately with cheese. To serve, top tortillas with sauce, bean mixture and, if desired, lettuce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tostadas in Simple & Delicious October/November 2016