If you’re looking for something different from the usual cakes and fruit pies, try this old-fashioned dessert. It features a delicious combination of blackberries and blueberries with homemade dumplings on top.
Recommended: 30 Recipes to Make with Fresh Blueberries
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon-sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- In a large skillet, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the first five dumpling ingredients. Add butter and buttermilk; stir just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto berry mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- Cover tightly; simmer until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean, 10-15 minutes. Serve warm; if desired, add sweetened whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Black 'n' Blue Berry Grunt in Country Extra July 2006, p51