- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 3 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- Unroll pastry into a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- In a large bowl, combine blackberries and blueberries. Combine the sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg; sprinkle over berries and toss gently. Pour into crust.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 375° for 55-60 minutes or until set (cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary). Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forBlack 'n' Blue Berry Crumb Pie
"Wonderful berry combination! If your pies are too wet...well, berry pies can always be tricky based upon the juice content of your fruit. I've started using arrowroot instead of cornstarch and still sprinkle perhaps a teaspoon of tapioca on the bottom crust before adding the filling. VERY TASTY summer pie."
"This is so good! I'm wondering, what I did wrong after reading other comments on the pie being watery. Mine was perfect. I did use my own homemade crust and 1 t cornstarch. But those were the only changes."
"I didn't try out this recipe yet.. but one of my favorite desserts to make is a peach cobbler. It uses two large cans of peaches and 6 Tbsp of tapioca. Using the whole box of tapioca would be too much."
"I read the reviews before making this pie and it has a wonderful flavor. I cut the butter for the topping back to 3 Tb spoon and added 1 Tb spoon of minute Tapioca, there was a little juice in the bottom next time I will add more Taioca. I wonder what a box of Tapioca pudding would do for this pie?"
"I've made this twice and love the taste. However, it does not set firm enough. I've tried doubling the cornstarch but still turns out watery. Any suggestions?"