Bistro Turkey Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 6 wheat sandwich buns, split
- 6 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1 medium pear, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound cooked turkey breast, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 6 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook onion and 1 teaspoon brown sugar in oil for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in salt and cayenne.
- Combine the mustard, apple cider and remaining brown sugar; spread over bun bottoms. Layer with lettuce, pear, turkey, basil and cheese. Top with caramelized onion. Replace tops.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 346 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 17, 2017
I don't eat meat so made these with Tofurkey. I thought the combination of flavors was great. My daughter didn't love the onions or the gorgonzola.
Nov 26, 2011
I made these for my husband and I using leftover Thanksgiving turkey- I didn't put the onions on mine and he didn't put the mustard sauce on his, we both loved it. He toasted his and put ranch on it. Very good.
Oct 18, 2011
We loved it!