- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 slices French bread baguette
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and stir onion in 1 teaspoon oil over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and vinegar; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until tender and golden brown. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, brown chicken in remaining oil on both sides. Add broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with onion mixture. Place a baguette slice over each chicken breast; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover, bake 3-5 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBistro French Onion Chicken
"This sounds great! I will try this soon, will serve over brown rice with perhaps green beans. Will skip the cheese and bread to keep it gluten & dairy free. Sounds delicious!"
"I have made this recipe many many times for myself and others. It takes awhile but the flavor makes the time put in worth it. It is even good reheated for lunch the next day."