Bison-Stuffed Bell Peppers
“I serve lean stuffed peppers with an Italian salad for a complete, healthy meal,“ says buffalo rancher Marlene Groves, Kiowa, Colorado.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 large green, sweet yellow or red peppers
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1 pound ground bison
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, onion, Italian seasoning, bread crumbs and 1/4 cup cheese. Crumble buffalo over mixture and mix well. Spoon into peppers. Place in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Top with remaining spaghetti sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 450 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 717mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 30g protein.
Originally published as Buff Stuffed Peppers in Country Woman May 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.