Bison-Stuffed Bell Peppers
“I serve lean stuffed peppers with an Italian salad for a complete, healthy meal,“ says buffalo rancher Marlene Groves, Kiowa, Colorado.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 large green, sweet yellow or red peppers
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1 pound ground bison
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, onion, Italian seasoning, bread crumbs and 1/4 cup cheese. Crumble buffalo over mixture and mix well. Spoon into peppers. Place in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Top with remaining spaghetti sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.