Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
2 each: 494 calories, 27g fat (7g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 1121mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.