Biscuit-Topped Tomato Casserole Recipe
This is one of my favorite ways to prepare fresh tomatoes from our garden. Since it's just my husband and me, I sometimes halve the tomato mixture, then make the rest of the topping into garlic-cheese drop biscuits to eat with other meals.—Jayme Buzard, Wichita, Kansas
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 8 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and sugar. Stir in water until smooth. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the green pepper, salt and pepper; keep warm.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the first five topping ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese and buttermilk just until moistened.
- 3. Transfer tomato mixture to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Drop topping into eight mounds onto hot tomato mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in biscuits comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 252 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 791mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Biscuit-Topped Tomato Casserole
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC