Biscuit-Topped Lemon Chicken
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes15 servings (30 biscuits)
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups 2% milk
- 12 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- CHEDDAR BISCUITS:
- 5 cups self-rising flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and celery in butter. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add green onions. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in chicken, soup, lemon juice and peel, pepper and salt; heat through. Pour into two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine biscuit ingredients just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 3/4-in. thickness. With a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter, cut out 30 biscuits.
- Place over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 687 calories, 34g fat (19g saturated fat), 180mg cholesterol, 1224mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 47g protein.
Nov 2, 2011
Pretty good recipe - it's a little different. My teenage boys ate it, but weren't in love with it. I might make it again, but probably not for quite a while. I'm pretty picky, and few things actually rate a 5 star for me. I think 3 - 4 stars is pretty fair for this one. It's good, but not great in my opinion.
Jul 14, 2011
My family loves this recipe, and it's even great when you have company!
Jul 7, 2010
This dish turned out great - it looked attractive, has great flavor, and recieved thumbs up from everyone. I made this for a crowd and still had lots leftover. Would be great to take to a potluck or church dinner. The biscuits were so easy and really impressed my guests and family. I shredded the cheese fine and tossed it with the flour before adding the liquids. This made for cheese in every morsel. And I used fresh squeezed lemon juice. Definitely a keeper.
Apr 4, 2010
Ok, so I cheated on this recipe. Instead of making my own biscuits I used canned biscuits and after baking sprinkled the cheese on top and baked a few more minutes. Turned out great! I cut this recipe in half and may cut it in half again as it makes alot and is very filling for my family of four. Great recipe and a keeper!
Dec 15, 2009
Very good. The lemon takes it way beyond creamed chicken on a biscuit. My husband says this recipe is a keeper.
Oct 3, 2009
My husband usually doesn't like 'biscuit topped' casseroles, but he gobbled this right up! Yummy!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.