- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 gallon milk
- 12 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- CHEDDAR BISCUITS:
- 5 cups self-rising flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onions, celery and garlic in butter. Add green onions. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the chicken, soup, lemon juice and peel, pepper and salt; heat through. Pour into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the biscuit ingredients just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 3/4-in. thickness. With a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter, cut out 30 biscuits.
- Place over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 15 servings (30 biscuits).
Reviews forBiscuit-Topped Lemon Chicken
"Pretty good recipe - it's a little different. My teenage boys ate it, but weren't in love with it. I might make it again, but probably not for quite a while. I'm pretty picky, and few things actually rate a 5 star for me. I think 3 - 4 stars is pretty fair for this one. It's good, but not great in my opinion."
"My family loves this recipe, and it's even great when you have company!"
"This dish turned out great - it looked attractive, has great flavor, and recieved thumbs up from everyone. I made this for a crowd and still had lots leftover. Would be great to take to a potluck or church dinner. The biscuits were so easy and really impressed my guests and family. I shredded the cheese fine and tossed it with the flour before adding the liquids. This made for cheese in every morsel. And I used fresh squeezed lemon juice. Definitely a keeper."
"Ok, so I cheated on this recipe. Instead of making my own biscuits I used canned biscuits and after baking sprinkled the cheese on top and baked a few more minutes. Turned out great! I cut this recipe in half and may cut it in half again as it makes alot and is very filling for my family of four. Great recipe and a keeper!"
"Very good. The lemon takes it way beyond creamed chicken on a biscuit. My husband says this recipe is a keeper."
"My husband usually doesn't like 'biscuit topped' casseroles, but he gobbled this right up! Yummy!"