Biscuit-Topped Italian Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tube (12 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in vegetables and 1-1/2 cups cheese. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Split each biscuit in half. Arrange biscuits around edge of dish, overlapping slightly; brush with butter and sprinkle with oregano. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 354 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 718mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Mar 20, 2018
After reading the other review, i decided to add 1/2 packet of taco seasoning mix to the meat. So instead of Italian, I changed it to Mexican. Family loved it. I'm sure that some would love this as is, but my family just prefers more zip.
Dec 30, 2009
It was very easy to make however, I feel it didn't have a lot of flavor it seemed to lack something. I am not sure what I will try next time to add more flavor, but will make it again.