Biscuit-Topped Beef N Beans
I entered this recipe for the annual cookbook put out by our local newspaper and was thrilled to win a prize! I shared my winnings with the dear friend who gave the recipe to me.—Eleanor McQuiston, Harrisville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 block (4 ounces) cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tube (12 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a skillet, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans, spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, soup mix and garlic powder; mix well. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, place a cheese cube in the center of each biscuit. Fold dough over cheese to cover; pinch to seal.
- Transfer hot meat mixture to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Place biscuits seam side down over beef mixture. Brush with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 547 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 1406mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Biscuit-Topped Beef 'N' Beans in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book