Biscuit Ham Spirals
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2-1/2 cups ground fully cooked ham
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 12 times. Roll into a 12x10-in. rectangle.
- Combine the filling ingredients; spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 1-in. slices.
- Place cut side down on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and white pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Serve with ham slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 341 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 943mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Mar 29, 2008
I loved this recipe. It's very easy and my husband couldn't stop raving about it. I used Bisquick instead of making the bicuit dough from scratch. I will use this recipe again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.