Bird's Nest Pie Recipe
- 4 to 5 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. Divide apples evenly between two greased 9-in. pie plates; set aside. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, buttermilk and egg; mix well. Divide batter and pour over apples. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until pies are lightly browned and test done. Invert onto serving plates (so apples are on the top). Combine all topping ingredients; sprinkle over apples. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 197 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Bird's Nest Pie
"My mom used to make this. She always put the cinnamon and sugar in the batter, then put a little extra on top. Makes it taste much better."
"This was just bad. Everything about it, texture, flavor; no one liked it."
"Just an OK dessert. I a little too bready. Not awful but definitly not a memory maker."