Bird’s Nest Blueberry Strudel
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons butter
- BIRD'S NEST:
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Cool.
- Roll up phyllo dough sheets and cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Place in a large bowl; toss with butter. Combine sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle over dough and toss to coat. Arrange strips in a 7-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 9-12 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Spoon blueberry filling into nest. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 321 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 228mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
May 14, 2011
the filling was delightful but why am I the only person who can't make Phyllo work? I tried to toss it with butter and it clumbed. What is the trick to working with the stuff?
Mar 22, 2011
I would give this ten stars if I could. The only thing I changed is that I fried the phyllo strips instead of baking them. I also made homemade whipped cream to top the blueberries. I have a picture of this creation on my page. The sweet berries combined with the crunchy phyllo is awesome. Make this you won't be disappointed.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.