Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, milk powder, sugar and yeast. In a saucepan, heat water, oil and butter to 120°-130° add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in eggs, onions, parsley, oregano, salt and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape into loaves; place in greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 105 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Feb 1, 2016
This tastes great! And it smells so good when it's baking. I was out of oregano one time when I made it and substituted Italian seasoning instead and was delicious. I like to brush the top crust with melted butter after baking, for a nice soft crust.
Dec 1, 2008
The rest of the recipe: Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and cool on wire racks.
Feb 26, 2008
What is the rest of the recipe? Sounds delicious. What is the oven temperature and time? Thanks.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.