- 15 pounds early-season apples (Gala, Jonathan and/or Cortland), peeled and quartered
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 5-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup red-hot candies
- 1 cup boiling water
- Place apples and vinegar in a stockpot; cover and cook over medium heat for 30-40 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. In a food processor, process mixture in batches until blended. Return all to the pan.
- Add the brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, salt, extract, cloves and allspice. Dissolve red-hots in boiling water; stir into apple mixture.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours or until mixture reaches a thick, spreadable consistency. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized 1-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 8 pints.
Reviews forBill's Apple Butter
"Hi Sara,If you look at the last line of direction it says Yield: 8 Pints. So your calculations are correct.Susan StetzelRecipe Support SpecialistTaste of Home Magazine"
"Hello, This sounds delicious! 128 servings at 2 TBS per serving is not very helpful. Generally a canning recipe is converted to the pints, 1/2 pints, or quarts. So this comes out to about 8 pints? Just making sure my calculations are correct. Thank you so much! Sara"
"This is exactly the perfection of a apple butter recipe to be handed down generation to generation. You can smell it wafting from our fall pickings bringing back a slew of memories."
"Bill OH Bill-love your secret ingredient of RedHots. I've slipped those secretly into many an apple pie~I cud kick myself for not buying the ultra huge bag of Jonathans I saw in market an hr ago. This is right up my alley of desired flavors especially on almost anything including a nice slice of pork tenderloin. can't wait to get crackin on this- will report when I do-saving to computer-thanks again for post"
"My grandmother's secret was red hots! I'll have to try yours, because, alas! No one thought to keep the recipe"