Big Dipper Salsa
When Stacy Troutner throws a barn party in Monroeville, Indiana, the fun is usually fueled by her zesty salsa and snack baskets brimming with chips.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup canned diced jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, optional
- Tortilla chip scoops
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Stir in the lime juice, vinegar and chilies if desired. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Serve with tortilla chips.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Originally published as Big Dipper Salsa in Country Woman December/January 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.