Big & Buttery Chocolate Chip Cookies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls. Flatten each to 3/4-in. thickness (2-1/2-in. diameter), smoothing edges as necessary. Place in an airtight container, separating layers with waxed paper or parchment; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- To bake, place dough portions 2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake until edges are golden brown (centers will be light), 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Test Kitchen variations
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 311 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 28, 2020
My absolute favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. I refrigerate dough overnight and use my cookie scoop to make smaller cookies. Perfect everytime!
Feb 24, 2020
Any suggestions on substituting anything besides nuts? Should I add more chocolate chips to the dough or ? Thanks for any ideas.
Feb 11, 2020
A very good cookie. Next time l'd add 1 1/2 c walnut, or maybe I chopped mine a little to fine. I made them 1/2 size. Janet VFE
Feb 7, 2020
Let’s give credit to more than simply California. Hungry Bear is located at Fig Garden Village in Fresno, California and has many yummy cookies!
Jan 11, 2020
Can you just leave the nuts out? I have family that are allergic to them!
Dec 1, 2019
These are awesome cookies!
Nov 27, 2019
LOVE these cookies! Perfect crunchy and chewy deliciousness.
Nov 19, 2019
This is absolutely THE best chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. I originally got this recipe from the June/July 2012 edition of Taste of Home--same author. For those having issues with thin cookies or spreading too much, you must form the balls and refrigerate overnight--no shortcuts. I also notice this version says to flatten prior to refrigerating---but the original says to press a shallow indention with thumb AFTER placing on the parchment lined baking sheet, then let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. My cookies are perfect every time!! Cooling the 2 minutes on the pan is also a must.
Sep 28, 2019
Amazing cookie, now my go to for chocolate chip. Crispy chewy is our favorite!
Sep 26, 2019
Love it, definitely one of my favorite recipes ever!!!