- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-3/4 pounds potatoes (about 3-4 medium), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add potatoes, broth, milk, carrots, celery and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in sour cream. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews forBig Batch Cheeseburger Soup
"Great flavor, a hit at our home! Will definately make this again."
"Used as a "base" but made a few changes -- added 1/2 pound more meat; 12 ounces of Velveeta; about 2 cups shredded sharp cheese and 1 cup sour cream. I put everything into the crock pot at the same time but mixed very well ... substituted vegetable broth and used 32 ounces. Checked periodically and added broth to get consistency we liked."
"This soup recipe intrigued our family so we decided to try it. The cheese came in a 1 pound brick, and I'm glad it did because we ended up adding the entire 1 pound rather than just the 8 ounces that the recipe called for. Also, it seemed that the broth would be better if it were a little thicker, so I thickened it with a few tablespoons of flour whisked in. With these changes, it was a huge hit at our house. We had a variety of toppings such as red onion, green onion, bacon pieces, and mushrooms."