- 4 pounds ground beef
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 5 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained, optional
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef, onions, celery and garlic until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- Transfer to freezer bags or containers, about 2 cups in each. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: about 15 cups total.
Reviews forBig-Batch Beef Sauce
"When this was printed in Taste of Home, it gave 3 or 4 recipe ideas of what you can make with this beef. For some reason I can't find those online. But this is a great recipe! I freeze several bags then have a quick headstart on tacos (love this recipe way better than ground beef + taco seas and this is much healthier), meat sauce for pasta or lasagna. I wasn't thrilled with the chili recipe though. Well worth the initial time investment of cooking all that meat."
"great recipe starter! I've tried it for tacos, spaghetti sauce, lasagna sauce and chili. All are excellent!! and the sauce freezes well!"