Big-Batch Bean Soup
When I was a cook in the service, I learned all I could from the cooks in the gallery. This soup was a favorite among the men.—Jene Cain, Northridge, California
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours 4o min.
Makes100 servings (6-1/4 gallons)
- 6 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 meaty ham bones
- 7 gallons ham or chicken stock
- 4-1/2 cups finely chopped onions (about 2 pounds)
- 2-3/4 cups shredded carrots (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups cold water
- Place the beans and ham bones in a large stockpot; add ham stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Stir in the onions, carrots and pepper; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Cook for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. If too thick, add additional water.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 78 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 1084mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Big-Batch Bean Soup in Taste of Home December/January 1994