"I dreamed up these cheese- and vegetable-stuffed burgers for a family barbecue years ago," recalls veteran cook Betty Canoles of Atascadero, California. "They're delicious grilled or pan-fried. You bite into a surprise."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 6 thin slices cheddar cheese
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 6 thin slices Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lettuce leaves
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Shape beef into 12 thin patties. Top six patties with a slice of cheddar cheese, green pepper strips and a slice of onion, tomato and Swiss cheese. Top each with another patty and seal edges. Season to taste.
- Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on lettuce-lined buns.
Originally published as Betty's Burgers in Taste of Home June/July 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.