"I dreamed up these cheese- and vegetable-stuffed burgers for a family barbecue years ago," recalls veteran cook Betty Canoles of Atascadero, California. "They're delicious grilled or pan-fried. You bite into a surprise."
Recommended: 20 Cheeseburger-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 6 thin slices cheddar cheese
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 6 thin slices Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- lettuce leaves
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Shape beef into 12 thin patties. Top six patties with a slice of cheddar cheese, green pepper strips and a slice of onion, tomato and Swiss cheese. Top each with another patty and seal edges. Season to taste. Broil, grill or pan-fry burgers until meat is no longer pink. Serve on lettuce-lined buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Betty's Burgers in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p18