For a fun sandwich filling that's perfect for a picnic or potluck, try these sweetly spicy barbecue sandwiches. My 90-year-old mother came up with this outdoor specialty that combines chunks of tender pork and beef. It's one of my family's favorites. —Pat Cole Polebridge, Montana
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 pound)
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped celery with leaves
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 10 to 14 sandwich buns, split
- Place beef and pork in a Dutch oven. Combine the water, soup mix and garlic; pour over meat. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove meat; cool. Cut into small cubes. Skim fat from drippings. Saute celery in the drippings until tender. Add the barbecue sauce, ketchup and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Stir in cubed meat; heat through. Serve on buns.