Better-Than-Fruitcake Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups raisins
- 1/4 cup bourbon or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 3/4 cup red candied cherries, halved
- 3/4 cup green candied cherries, halved
- 1. In a small bowl, combine raisins and bourbon. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until blended. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in the pecans, cherries and raisin mixture.
- 3. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until firm. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 cookie: 93 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Better-Than-Fruitcake Cookies
"Thank you forthis recipe. Have done it for many years, lost the recipe..couldn't remember the quantity of ingredients...sooo glad I found it here. Will be making a couple of batches as of tomorrow!...Are you getting 36 cookies? I use a generous teaspoon instead of tablespoon and only got 26 cookies! Inalso reduced the raisins to 1.5 C and drain them of juice b4 adding to mixture..These are delicious., sooo glad I found it again????????"
"My husband loves fruitcake so I thought I'd give these a try. They are delicious. No substitutions or changes, the recipe is wonderful just the way it is. Thanks so much for sharing, these will be an addition to the cookie list every year."
"Excellent - we love these!"
"This is the recipe my Mom always used. I grind my fruit in a meat grinder because my family doesn't like big pieces. They are delicious Use raisins, cherries, chopped dates, and pineapple."
"Delicious. They tasted just like fruitcake. I also used the fruitcake mix from the store. It included citron which added the taste I associate with fruitcake. I will definitely make these again."
"Great!! Used candied cherry and pineapple mix and Apple juice,"
"Very good recipe! I also used dried fruits instead of candied ones. The dried pineapple, cherries and dried apricots. Maybe will add some citrus next time. I Used only apple juicefor the mix. baking time is the key. 12 minutes is enough or they dry out too much! I placed mine in the cupcake liners both mini and regular--works great."
"I used to make these many years ago. I substituted 1 1/2 cups of candied fruit peels for the candied red and green cherries and added this to the 2 c raisins and let these soak overnight in 1/2 cup of Brandy instead of bourbon, turning the container over once or twice to be sure the brandy flavored the entire contents of the container. I also used chopped pecans (walnuts are also good....have used them in the past). These are my Hubby's favorite Christmas cookie and I found out today, one of our friends flipped over them when he tasted them. Delicious!"