Better than Egg Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package (12.3 ounces) silken firm tofu, cubed
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Mix first eight ingredients; stir in tofu. Line four slices of bread with lettuce. Top with tofu mixture. If desired, sprinkle with pepper; close sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 266 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 692mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 25, 2016
Interesting! I would make again. Good flavor. Was shocked when my two kids (ages 5 and 9) not only liked it, but asked for more! One of the first tofu recipes we have made.
Sep 6, 2013
Amazing how much it tastes like traditional egg salad!
Mar 19, 2012
A really nice, quick sandwich salad. I wasn't as gentle with the tofu as the recipe said, so it crumbled and looked more like egg salad, and I used some kala namak salt instead of regular table salt to give it a more egg-like taste.
Mar 14, 2009
This was good and much faster than hard boiling eggs for salad!
Dec 11, 2008
I tried it....it was OK :) I'll probably make it again.