"This savory sauce dresses up any vegetable in a flavorful way," says Wendy Bohman of Howards Grove, Wisconsin. "I created the recipe when I was dieting and was sick of plain cooked vegetables. The sauce has great taste and minimal fat and calories."
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a small saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Stir in milk and water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened and bubbly. Serve over hot cooked vegetables. Yield: 10 tablespoons.
Originally published as Better-Than-Butter Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 2002, p16